Project 101074362 – LIFE21 – ENV – IT – SEEDSPRO2WINE
Circular-based alternative protein extraction from grape seeds for the wine-making process
- 40% of grape pomace produced in EU wine industry is destinated to a low waste-hierarchy stage (fertilizer or fuel) although the grape seeds are rich in proteins that shall be extracted and revalorized during winemaking process.
- SEEDSPRO2WINE implements one circular business model based on a pioneering & mature-R&D-results industrial process for the extraction of proteins from de-tannificated grape to be exploited as a fining agent in the wine industry and to replace the traditionally-used protein gelatin of animal origin and protein extracts from food crops.
- The system will produce 24 tons/y of proteins by end of the project while 120 tons/y are planned by 2031, covering 17% of Italian protein demand (5% EU).
- A reduction of GHG emission is expected comparing our process with the animal and vegetal-based proteins.
- Project Leader: CAVIRO SCA
- Academic/Research partners: Università degli Studi di Padova, Universitat Rovira I Virgili, Institut Français de la Vigne et du Vin
- Business/Industry partners: Caviro Extra, Ever, Vinidea
Main project goal
- Promoting one circular-based industrial process, environmentally and economically sustainable and technically feasible, finalized at the extraction of proteins from grape seeds (currently considered as waste and destinated to fertilization and fuel purposes) to be re-valorized as fining agent in the wine clarification in place of raw materials currently used, such as the traditionally-used protein gelatins of animal origin and proteins extracts from food crops.
- Development, upon the available R&D studies carried on by Università degli Studi di Padova, of one small-scale industrial plant to integrate the extraction process of grape seed proteins into a tannin extraction process already present in CAVIRO company to obtain a final product that can be firstly applied as fining agent for wine industry.
- Reduction of the overall environmental burden / footprint of winemaking process in the transition from traditionally-used protein gelatin of animal origin and protein extracts from food crops to grape seed proteins. In specific, the goal is to find the optimal balance between high-quality protein contents and resources used in the extractions (water, energy, chemicals, etc.).
- Replication of the circular business model experienced by CAVIRO at larger European scale to demonstrate that the technology/approach for proteins extraction and revalorization is – upon certain conditions disclosed by the project – technically feasible and economically sustainable by most of the European winemakers, environmentally less impacting than animal-base proteins clarification process and – overall – in line with healthy and sustainable dietary patterns streamlined by the Farm-to-Fork strategy.
48 months – from 01/08/2022 to 31/07/2026
Total Eligible Budget
Project 101074362 – LIFE21 – ENV – IT – SEEDSPRO2WINE is co-funded with the contribution of the European Commission, under the LIFE Program – Circular Economy and Waste – Grant Agreement n. LIFE21-ENV-IT-SEEDSPRO2WINE/101074362